Saturday, October 09, 2010

Proposal: Unloaded dice

Passes at 11-0. -Purplebeard

Adminned at 10 Oct 2010 18:51:19 UTC

Add to rule “Numbers and Variables”:

* If a number or other game variable is selected ‘at random’ or ‘randomly’ from a range of possible values, its value shall always be taken from a uniform probability distribution over the entire range of possible values, unless otherwise specified.

Core proposal. This has always bothered me.

Comments

Josh:

10-09-2010 19:42:44 UTC

I’m not sure that I understand the distinction well enough to place an informed vote.

imperial

Klisz:

10-09-2010 19:47:47 UTC

imperial

Kevan:

10-09-2010 19:48:46 UTC

for This has been niggling me too, and it would definitely save us time in the future if we could just say “Emperor picks a random Player using a GNDT die roll” than “Emperor has to roll DICEX where X is the number of players and selects player Y from an alphabetical list of blah blah”. (The problem is that a malicious player could take “at random” to mean “99.85% chance of picking Josh, 0.15% chance of picking each other player, I will now roll D10000”.)

Roujo:

10-09-2010 20:03:51 UTC

for

Ienpw III:

10-10-2010 00:49:42 UTC

for

Bucky:

10-10-2010 01:03:04 UTC

for , although this should be patched before the next time a proposal says “pick a random number” without qualifying it.

Darknight:

10-10-2010 01:17:01 UTC

for

lilomar:

10-10-2010 03:05:34 UTC

for

Thane Q:

10-10-2010 03:20:01 UTC

for

Brendan:

10-10-2010 06:13:56 UTC

for